Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, add salt and bring to a boil.
Let boil until the potatoes are soft. When they are done, peel and mash potatoes with a fork. While the potatoes are still hot, add the warm milk, butter and salt and pepper to taste, mix well and set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp of the coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a large cast-iron skillet on a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, carrot and celery, stir and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, vegetable stock, coconut aminos, and hot sauce, lower the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes. Add the arrowroot starch, stir to combine and add the lentils. Cook for 5 more minutes, turn off the heat and add the mushrooms. Cover the top of the filling with the mashed potatoes and place the pan in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
|Macro (Per serving)||Gram||Kcal||%|
- 8 medium potatoes
- 80ml plant-based milk, warmed
- 55g vegan butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil, divided
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 235ml vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos (optional)
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 297g cooked green lentils (preferably French green lentils)